Friday, July 15, 2016

Just Because It's Thursday

It's insane how familiar a place you've only been to once before can be. From the minute I got here I have felt strangely at home. My Spanish family picked me up at the arrivals gate at the Madrid airport, and after an abundance of squeals, hugs, and churros, I reunited with my friends and some drinks, cheering to "Emily for making it through immigration!!"

It's only my second day here, but something tells me that today will just be one of those memories I'll save as a favorite day. Claudia and I woke up around 8:30 (not bad for jet lag!) and had Cola Cao and tomato tostas for breakfast. We spent the day at Pablo's pool where I got to chat in Spanish with the lifeguard about my life and what it's like to live in the city that's home to Rocky. Not until promising my return so we could continue our conversation about Philly slang, (cheesesteak "wit" onions, please, from Jim's, not Pats or Ginos,) Claudia and I came home to have lunch, shower, and take a siesta before shopping with Sara and Laura.

While all of those things were highlights of my day, they aren't reasons why today was so incredible. Tonight we went to have dinner with Claudia's family. Before we got to their house, Claudia "warned" me about her family. She said that they're all crazy, loud, obnoxious, and nosey. She said that her aunts are the craziest; they use any excuse they can come up with to have a celebration. "It's the first warm day of the spring!" or "It's the end of a long work week!" or "Emily's here, let's have a Hawaiian themed party!" or "It's Thursday!! Let's celebrate!!" They celebrate because it's just a THURSDAY! Because why the hell not?!

And sure enough, the front of the house was decorated for a party. Balloons and streamers and "happy birthday" garlands hung from the brick entrance way and Claudia's aunts and grandmother, Judith, Merche, Lumi were dressed in crowns of floral Hawaiian leis. They ran to greet and crown Claudia and me so that the celebration could start. If I could bottle their positivity and bring it home with me, I would.

I spent the night integrating myself into the Vega family; I enjoyed the company of aunts, grandparents, cousins, homemade meals, beautiful gardens, freshly grown sweet tomatoes and peppers, a swing set and a pool the kids have grown up playing in, photo books full of nostalgic stories and memories, kids and uncles wrestling, dogs who understand Spanish ("sientate," not "sit"), and plenty of laughter to brighten my darkest of days. They are probably the most genuine people I've ever met. During dinner, I couldn't help but look out through the beaded curtains hanging down from the door at the sun setting in the background, the stunning red flowers bleeding into the view, and the family dog laying down to catch her breath in front of the outdoor brick oven stove.

There is something to be said for Merche and Judith's positive energy. I'm sure that from Claudia's point of view, it's just the crazy aunts at it again. But from where I'm standing, it's reminder that there is always something to celebrate. So in the meantime, I'm going to take a page from their book, and celebrate that it's Thursday.















No comments:

Post a Comment